I've decided to create a blog to journal the things that make me laugh everyday. Most of the time it's my daughter Natalee....I hope that you enjoy reading about our adventures.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Project Life Week 2 - a little late :)

Last week was crazy busy for me so I didn't have time to blog, work on my PL or really do anything fun!  We had a big gathering at our house on Saturday and I've been in the process of cleaning and re-organizing cabinets and such for a couple of weeks.  Well, I had to wrap it up and clean up my messes before company came over! Good news...I got it all done and my house looks and feels great!  So good in fact, that I should have some extra play time this week to catch up on Project Life and get Weeks 3 & 4 completed!

I am so excited to share these pages with you.  I really stretched myself and used a lot of techniques that I don't normally use.  This is my secondary goal for PL, I want to spread my wings a little and become more adventurous.  I see lots of techniques every month from the DT at Studio Calico and I always think that they are cool, but I've always been to chicken to try them....well, not anymore.  I vow that I will try new things and I started in Week 2!

Enough jibberish, let's look at some pictures! Here is the complete page.  I really loved how this turned out!  The story behind this page is that Natalee was supposed to start gymnastics this week.  The forecast was calling for snow, but I didn't think that they would cancel because we were only supposed to get a dusting and it was just starting.  Well, we got to the gym and the lights were off and no one was there.  Natalee was crushed.  I took a couple of pictures in the dark outside the gym and with a creative push from Kelly Purkey, decided to make a spread about how disappointed Natalee was.


This picture is Natalee standing outside the gym when we realized that the doors were locked and they had called off class.  She was so disappointed.  That sad, pouty face just says it all.  I decided to use Basic Grey mini-mono stickers right on the picture to capture her mood at the time of the shot.


This is another picture that I took outside the gym...you can see the snowflakes falling, but I didn't think that it was enough, so I used some Studio Calico Wood Veneer asterisks and made my own.  I covered one with Maya Road chalk ink and used it as a stamp on the picture.  Then I covered the stamped image with Glossy Accents to seal it and make it shiny.  I also used SEI Ocean Deep Chalk ink on another and covered it with Glossy Accents and added it to the photo as well.  I finished it off with a title in AC Thickers.


I really wanted to remember Natalee's disappointment, so I looked up the word disappointed on Dictionary.com and decided to copy it onto a note card.  I found these cute colored striped note cards at Wal-Mart for less than $1.


I used some white and grey cardstock for this pocket.  I added a Studio Calico rub-on from eons ago that I've had in my stash because it kindof looked like frost on a windowpane.  I used Studio Calico Anthology alphas and distressed them a little with the White Maya Road chalk ink.  I also used Prima Tin Can chalk ink on the edges of the paper to tie in the gray.


For the other side of this page, I wanted to do something light and fun so I decided to feature things that we do that we do during playtime.


I used some alpha stickers that I liked the font, but not the color and misted over them to capture the negative image.  I used several different Mister Huey's Mists:  Heirloom Blue, Custard, Estate Green, Plumb Thumb and Barnwood.  I then went to my sewing machine and used Navy thread to add a little more embellishment.


There is a story behind this picture.  We have a favorite Mexican joint and we usually eat there on Monday's when they have a Chimichanga special.  On this particular Monday, the kids decided that they were going to spend .50 each and get the fake mustaches out of the vending machine by the door.  Well, they pulled them out and then wore them the rest of the afternoon.  It was so funny to see them with those crazy BLONDE fake mustaches!  Well, I had to take their picture of course...and Alli was upset with herself for not playing along and made her own mustache out of a Air Heads wrapper.  It was just a taste of how funny these kids are every day and I had to include it in my PL!  I was sitting at my desk looking at my punches and realized that my EK bracket punch kindof looked like a mustache so I punched a piece of white cardstock and then added some Maya Rd brown chalk ink to make my mustache.


This photo is from the day that we took Natalee to see The Beauty & The Beast.  This is a special movie for us, Rich took me to see it in the theater on one of our first dates.  It was fun to share it with our daughter on the big screen 20 years later.  I used yellow and gray cardstock to back the photo and bring out some of the colors from the movie poster.  I actually go out from behind the camera for a change and let Rich take a picture of me and Natalee together.




Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. Looks great Lorie and if it makes you feel better, I have only done the front page and week 1! OY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lorie - ypur pages are coming along nicely. What a great moment to capture - not nice at the time but something that you can look back on. Thanks for sharing. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. looking good! love the movie tickets on the photo. i totally dig that!

    ReplyDelete